Sunday, January 10, 2010

Possessed or Hormones

Ever so often, I think my perfectly fine, sweet, innocent and well behaved daughter has become possessed. They say the hormonal swings of a teenage girl is pretty bad. River is almost 7, so, I can't blame it on teenage hormones. My perfect child, the one that is told she is a "little young lady" and "has great manners" suddenly becomes very fond of the word "no" and other words of disdain.  "No Mommy", "UGGGGHHHH", and "AHHHHHH" all accompanied by body language that other kids might tag a four letter word onto but she doesn't know any so we get grunts. Eye's narrowed, feet stomp, nose in the air, and back to us, she gets her message across, "I don't like not being in control of my life".

Possession happened sometime at school on Wednesday. Not sure what happened at school, I wish I'd asked her teacher because she says she had a great day. But, in Bible class, it got really bad. I teach River's class on Wednesday nights, so, after a few minutes of disrespect, she got to visit her Daddy in the hallway for a time out. Time out then turned into screams at the top of her lungs which sounded like a beating was in progress. It wasn't, of course, but I was just waiting for an elder to come running down the hallway, panicked, afraid someone had lost an arm to child friendly scissors. I'd have to say, "No, really, it's all right, it's just the Children's Minister daughter letting the WHOLE CHURCH know she didn't get her way".

Today is Sunday afternoon and she's spent a good portion of the weekend in time out and other punishments. And even though the revenge of punishment feels good in the midst of disrespect, we have tried as many positive approaches as possible, too. She's spent time with each of us, with her favorite hobby, helping me make things for the church classroom, and watching a movie. What do we get in return? Cave man grunts.

But, hey, this too shall pass, right? In a little while, she'll remember how fun it was to be a good girl, how she got praise, time with parents, and fun activities instead of time out in her room. She just has to check out life on the wild side until she remembers that it is not so wild. Better at 6 than 16. At least she'll know as a teenager that our word is golden.

God built many lessons into this job called parenting, and, this must be one of those lessons. How many times have I read God's word, said a prayer and felt His leading, but still kicked, scream, grunted, and turned my back on Him instead of doing His way? His response doesn't change, He just waits patiently until I get over myself and start relying on Him again. Jesus was His answer to our desire to test the waters and thankfully, He took the punishment for us. But, on parenting days like today, I can't help but think that God gets a little kick out of watching one of His babies teach her parents a lesson about sacrifice, unconditional love, and discipline.

She's napping now. I'm praying that she wakes up sweet River and not her evil twin!

No comments:

Post a Comment